Wednesday, July 14, 2010

How does a professional sitarist make money in united states with music?

How does a professional sitarist make money in united states with music?
Before you answer this I want you to know that I am an American, I was born in Colorado. So don't say something stupid like "Go Home" my home is Portland Oregon, home of the emo, deal with it! I am a professional sitarist, and I live in Portland Oregon, and I am interested in finding out ways that someone who's mastered the art of sitar can make money playing it in the united states. Ways I have earned money in the past, here's how: I have played live in bars for tips, when I had lots of people in the bar, I took home decent pocket money. I have played private parties, often times I'd been tricked, or ripped off at parties, but got free food and interesting company.Sometimes if I waited beyond the time the busses ran, I'd get enough money to pay for a taxi home. I have sold cds while playing music on the streets, I generally don't make much money playing on the streets, but occasionally someone rushing by asks how much the cd is, I give them a price, sometimes they buy sometimes not. I have worked for indian business men, playing sitar in their homes, very respectful, pay really good, and appreciate it's fine work and mastery, however those seem like once in a lifetime in America. I have worked in yoga studios, and that felt more like minimum wage job being paid to distract rich yuppies from their mundane existence. I played more extended shows and got paid less than I would just making cheeseburgers in that time. Worked in indie films, I did great work recording with the music directors notes, and before I got paid the indie film maker killed himself... that's happened twice since I lived out here in Portand, and sadly the recordings were lost. This city has a tendency to be way too emo. So what is there next to turn to? What's the next step? Should I just leave the city and go somewhere in india, or is there really hope for a really good sitar player in the country of USA? P.S. I am for hire in case you have a contract you want recordings of sitar to be done for.
R&B & Soul - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
First of all, sitar music is pretty sweet. and i think you should try and advertise more maybe, like put videos on youtube.com, etc. Eventually someone will notice you. hopefully :)
2 :
He waits tables or drives a taxicab, naturally.