Sunday, November 28, 2010

At what age were you first aware of your pride in the United States of America?

At what age were you first aware of your pride in the United States of America?
Can you remember? I mean really remember? As I think back over my 47 1/2 years, I think I felt pride when I was in elementary school. Once when we were raising money for the Red Cross to help others. Again, when I so wanted to be in the flag raising group - the group of boys and girls responsible for raising and lowering the flag each morning and afternoon. And once more during the 1972 Olympics - watching our athletes stand on the winners podium, seeing our flag raised, hearing our national anthem played. I'm not sure what to make of a person (for example, Michelle Obama, who'd like to be the First Lady) who does not feel proud of his or her country until she or he is 40 years old or older.
Elections - 16 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
in 5th grade when i studied the constitution
2 :
from a child
3 :
Ignorance why do you people keeping taking things out of context to support your belief?
4 :
I was most proud when I was sworn into the Navy.
5 :
I was born in `68, Fell in love with America in `76...What was Obama doing ???
6 :
I am old enough (barely) to remember seeing Bobby Kennedy's funeral train - I asked my Dad why anybody would shoot him. That's when I realised there's bad people in the world. As for my pride - I think probably going to Navy Airshows when I was a kid and we lived on the base - that was awesome!
7 :
I'm very proud of being an American but I have been so embarrassed that we have such a stupid doofus for a president. That's why I'm scared of Palin. She's as much of a dimwit as Bush. Why did McCain have to pick her. I'm going for the safe bet this year...Obama/Biden '08!
8 :
When we celebrated the bicentennial of our great nation in 1976. I was seven.
9 :
my dad is retired military, so i have always felt a sense of pride for my country and for all the men and women who fight to make it a safer place.
10 :
Wow - I am your age, and I vividly remember when I was 10, an older cousin who was in Vietnam, and came home in his dress uniform, and talked about the War - I was so proud to be his relative, you know? And 7 years later I put on the uniform, too.
11 :
I became very proud of America from the moment I step foot into the country as an immigrant. Coming from a very conservative and provincial-mind culture at the age of 9, I was shocked that another country where the predominate ethnic majority is different from mine would welcome me into their country and allow me and my family a chance to thrive. When I became naturalized as a citizen at age 15, it was another instance that I felt a swelling of pride. I was allowed to have the full rights as any other citizen of this country that is founded on so much promise and ideals of equality. However, are there times when I am deeply ashamed of my country? Of course, many times. I think that's OK, as long as we are willing to work and help make it better. It was a very poor choice of words from Michelle Obama. She admitted that it was a mistake to put it that way. I bet if you ask her this same question, she would easily be able to point out much earlier when she had been proud of America. She said what she said because she wanted to really emphasize how proud she was of the US at that moment. At that moment, her pride in America was so great that she forgot about all the previous times when she was proud of the US. Haven't you ever said something that you don't fully mean and regret?
12 :
I never diss America, but I think pride of any individual country increases a feeling of separateness and can create a feeling of superiority when we all need to be there for one another. I don't allow my country's politics or any country's politics to cause me to feel any way in particular towards an entire country of people when there is good and bad everywhere. I feel Fortunate to have been born in one of the countries that allows a decent standard of living in general. But I also know I have an obligation to help my brothers and sisters who do not.
13 :
I can remember as a child in elementary also having a great sense of pride while saying the national anthem and singing the star spangled banner. I remember I was once fortunate enough to help raise and lower the flag one day. I was not sure why but it was such a great moment for me. I am still proud of my country and I think that if it takes someone that long to realize they are too, then it is not sincere.
14 :
I can't remember any specific time. Usually, the feeling involves pride in certain Americans, like the founding fathers, Lincoln, and FDR -- rather than pride in the "United States." Frankly, it's hard for me to feel proud when I think of the needless wars we've fought. Also the way we've treated minorities -- starting, right at the beginning, with the native Americans. I guess that blows any chance I had of being president, or even first lady. But it's the truth.
15 :
When John Glenn went Orbited the Earth for the first time I was in grade school - I was so young and it seemed scary but normal for the USA to be in this competition race to the moon against the USSR. I'd have to say that is my first recollection of being proud to be an American followed by many, many more to follow that I can't distinguish where my adult moment would be. For those excuse makers for Michelle, you will have to forgive me if I cannot imagine ANY context where I could say the words that I was "proud of my country for the first time in my adult life". Especially if you were an adult on 9/11 ! (next you'll try to say Obama never knew about Rev Wright's rhetoric -- read this last paragraph http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/30/us/politics/30obama.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin )
16 :
When I was a young girl and I saw pictures of my grandfathers in their service uniforms. I'd say I was probably 11 before I asked what they did when they served. I am always proud of my country and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. God Bless America land that I love stand beside her and guide her through the night with the light from above!!!
17 :
About 5th or 6th grade.