Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Tipping in the United States of America?

Tipping in the United States of America?
Why is it that in the USA, restaurant owners think it is OK to pay their staff less than the minimum wage and make the customers make up the rest of the money? Even worse, why do American customers feel that it is their duty to tip, when it is a commonly known fact that if servers do not make up at least the minimum wage, the restaurant legally has to pay for it themselves? Why can't customers in the USA make a change once and for all and stop this silly tipping culture, forcing employers to pay their servers properly, and bring the USA up to the same level as the rest of the world?
Other - United States - 7 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
You don't have to tip, its a kind gesture because they get shitty wages. Besides if we didn't have to tip and waitresses got paid higher wages the cost of the bill would be higher anyways
2 :
Why does it bother you so much? I don't know where you are from, but I can guarantee there are stupid and silly cultural norms there.
3 :
First off, minimum wage in this country does not include restaurants as far as servers go. So you are wrong there. Tipping is something a server earns through good service and it is not a guaranty. My question is, why do people from other countries come here knowing that tipping is the way we do things for servers here and stiff them anyhow? When I waited tables, I came to a table that had people from certain countries there, I cringed because I knew I was going to get stiffed. By the way, servers also pay income tax on tips now.
4 :
Quit being so cheap. Tipping is left to the customers because some servers are worth a lot more than minimum wage. And a lot of states now do pay their servers minimum wage or more plus tips. A good server will make $200 per day in tips. A bad server usually makes what they are worth as well. It is called incentive. People who want to make good money will work to get it, people who do not want to work will not make money. I personally think ALL industries should be that way. Doctors, lawyers, mechanics would then actually have to earn their money and not be able to tell you all kinds of crap. Mechanics would actually FIX the car. Doctors would actually HEAL people. police officers would actually PROTECT people. Oh my God, then people would actually be able to live better. The rich then would not be so dam lazy and the poor working stiff would not be so dam poor.
5 :
"Why is it that in the USA, restaurant owners think it is OK to pay their staff less than the minimum wage and make the customers make up the rest of the money?" - Depends on the state and their minimum wage laws. "Even worse, why do American customers feel that it is their duty to tip" - It's the polite thing to do for good service. "Why can't customers in the USA make a change once and for all and stop this silly tipping culture, forcing employers to pay their servers properly, and bring the USA up to the same level as the rest of the world?" - This is a capitalist country. You don't have to come to our country. You don't have to visit America. Don't like it? Don't come. Simple as that. I'm an American that lives near the Canadian border and our hard working American wait staff at restaurants get screwed by the Canadians that come shopping here and NEVER tip.
6 :
Yes, we should get rid of tipping.
7 :
I'm an American and I complete agree with you! Why do I have to pay your employees wages?! Especially when they're not EARNING it!! I hate getting bad service and knowing that if I don't leave a tip I'm considered cheap. People I actually leave good tips for are housekeepers at the hotels who clean up after my "mess".